   Re: [xml-dev] Re: Are the data users happy? Why not?

K. Ari Krupnikov scripsit:

> I also keep
> seeing HTML forms where the "country" part of the address is a
> drop-down list, 150-odd long, of all UN members, just because it's
> available. The list ensures only "legal" values can be entered*, but
> it checks for membership in a wrong set -- UN member nations as
> opposed to nations where the site has or wants to have customers.

I don't care where my customers are, I just care that they can enter their
postal addresses without being blocked by validation.  Thus I require a
postal code if the country code is US or CA, because I know how to validate
those postal codes; otherwise, the postal code is optional.  Ditto for the
state/province field.

To omit a country (and ISO 3166 countries include many that don't belong to
the U.N., notably Switzerland, BTW) would mean that some users couldn't enter
their postal addresses correctly.

> wonder how many sites have users in Afghanistan?

Probably not.  But why should I refuse to take their money?
--
Business before pleasure, if not too bloomering long before.
        --Nicholas van Rijn