   Re: [xml-dev] The subsetting has begun

On Tuesday 25 February 2003 09:48 am, Bullard, Claude L (Len) wrote:
> Argggh.... We have a real problem then and
> I'm not sure how to describe it except other
> than to talk about infoset services.  In other
> words, how do I know what an XML parser does
> in terms of real code?  It would seem to me
> as others (eg, Rick Jeliffe) has suggested,
> that is the problem to be worked before the
> W3C launches into a subset activity.

I think this is an important area to look into, but I haven't seen any way to
really resovlve the issue. Applications are specific to a problem domain, and
more often than not, so it the data they manipulate.

> Otherwise, XML interop is a
> myth beyond knowing a file is well-formed.

That's the state of the world... perhaps a bit better because we do have a few
standardized API's. I'm not sure that can ever truly change without a
paradigm shift in programming.