   Infoset vs pure syntax permathread (was Re: [xml-dev] The subsettinghas

On Tue, 25 Feb 2003 01:00:09 -0500, Gavin Thomas Nicol <gtn@rbii.com>
wrote:

> Right... but FWIW. XPath, and Schema are really tied closely to the
> syntax of XML too. I don't think many many people would say that XPath is
> a globally applicable addressing mechanism for structured data

XQuery in both theory (the spec) and practice (e.g. Microsoft's stuff that
Dare was showing at XML 2002) operates off a data model (aka Infoset, more
or less) that encompasses both XML and the relational model.  Since it
incorporates XPath by reference, XPath is therefore a globally applicable
addressing mechanism for data that can be represented in the
datamodel/infoset.  What's wrong with that logic?

>> I suspect that the infoset is of little interest to ordinary programmers
>> doing ordinary work, who will work either at the level of the syntax or
>> of some particular API.  -Tim

I don't know how to reconcile that statement with the popularity of
XPath/XSLT and the widespread enthusiam for the *basic idea* of XQuery (net
the mumbo jumbo we like to complain about, which has more to do with the
PSVI than the Infoset).