   Re: [xml-dev] Parsing efficiency? - why not 'compile'????

> > Basically, the effort to get up and running with a small XML project
> > is minimal as long as I have a parser.
>
> Thing is, I reckon any reasonably binxml parser would come with a tool (and
> it would be a simple tool to write) that maps it to and from textual XML.

Yes, if we had both, textual and binary XML.
Now, given that, the question becomes: What are the advantages?
- Efficiency of size?
- Speed of parsing?
Do they matter? Not in most apps, but probably in some.
For example:
Expat is sufficiently fast to require extra care in speed testing.
You have to eliminate I/O and other processes running to even detect
a 5% increase in speed. On my PIII 733 MHz, Expat can WF-check
(no handlers set) about 30 MB of XML per second
(pre-loaded into a buffer to eliminate I/O).

Karl