   Pure syntax vs the Infoset permathread (was Re: [xml-dev] Thesubsetting

On Tue, 25 Feb 2003 07:16:26 -0800, Joe English <jenglish@flightlab.com>
wrote:

> Waitaminnit -- since when is SAX "pure syntax"?
> SAX is the quintessential implementation of the XML Infoset!
> All non-Infoset syntactic features of the source document
> are stripped out; the application only sees (a representation
> of) the abstract information items.

Joe and Simon are abolutely right.  I don't know what I was thinking ...
probably not at all.

But it further strengthens the argument that essentially nobody except
Simon :-) and the proverbial desperate Perl hacker actually works with XML
at the pure syntax level.  That makes me even more suspicious of the
argument that XML's power comes purely from the syntax and not the
Infoset(s).  And yes, the problem is the plural here.

Can the XML world agree on one and only one conception of the Infoset?
Interesting question.  Probably "no" if everybody gets a vote and a veto.
Probabably "yes" in the sense that once one takes root and the dust
settles, the benefits of standardization will outweigh the costs of losing
things like one's preferred view of where the namespace information is
attached to the Infoset.