   Re: [xml-dev] Parsing efficiency? - why not 'compile'????

> > Let's assume we would have had a binary XML specification from
> > the beginning, everything basically the same, just binary streaming format,
> > but same Infoset, same APIs for reporting XML content.
> > What would be the difference? For the programmer? For the platforms?
>
> It would be horrible. Quite simply horrible. But then, it would never have taken
> off so we wouldn't be discussing it.

That argument doesn't have enough reasoning power to comvince me. ;-)
But I can see that it might boil down to human readability after all.
If I try to imagine what it would mean to me as a developer:

- I can make up a test XML file anywhere where I have a text editor available.
  That is accessible even to point and click programmers.
  Encoding may be a problem here, but I assume most XML documents
  were US-ASCII (initially) and so readable on many platforms.
- I can easily check the output I generate manually/visually, no
  need to write a test program (which may have bugs), or use
  some form of binary XML editor.

Basically, the effort to get up and running with a small XML project
is minimal as long as I have a parser.

Karl