   Re: [xml-dev] Registered Namespace prefixes

veillard@redhat.com (Daniel Veillard) writes:
> http://ietf.org/mail-archive/ietf/Current/msg18926.html
> "The US
> Department of Commerce last week quietly published a document
> detailing its decision to "sole-source" the contract for the
> so-called IANA  function to ICANN, as opposed to opening the contract
> for competitive bidding."

It's not clear that the "IANA function" in general has been contracted
to ICANN - the message appears to be only about country codes.  I'd
certainly like clarification on the status of the IANA generally,
though.

>Instauring a registry is a perfect way to prepare a robbery onto the
>enslaved masses. Prepare your checks ! Even if someone promises you
>whatever freedom now, the capitalist temptation of making money on
>any central authority is just impossible to resist in the long term.

In the current climate of "everything must be privatized", sure.  We've
seen how much damage business can do to an infrastructure while still
letting it breathe.  "Just impossible to resist in the long term" seems
like far too great a stretch, however.  I still don't take "capitalist
temptation" to be inevitable.

> No way I'm I going to accept the idea of coupling parsing of XML
>resources to the access of a registry ouside the encoding and
>character ones. Parsing XML does not even require DNS resolving unless
>one want to access remote resources (and in general you try to avoid
>that when deploying).

If ICANN is in fact involved, I heartily agree.  ICANN's catastrophic
stupidity and cupidity don't by themselves mean that registries are a
bad idea, provided that their keepers are actively (and genuinely)
regulated.

--
Simon St.Laurent
Errors, errors, all fall down!