   RE: [xml-dev] Registered Namespace prefixes

> In my opinion, the answer lies in rethinking the purpose of namespaces
> and their use cases, not in fixing the symptoms. One purpose of
> namespaces was to invent a shorthand notation for (long) unique
> names. If you make the /prefix/ unique, in essence making the whole
> tag unique, you're right back where you started. If the part before
> the colon has no specific meaning, how is <xsl:value-of select="."/>
> better than <xsl-value-of select="."/>?

prefix+localName would still be functionally the same as namespace id+
localName.  The prefix becomes the id.  It is still separate: it indicates a
namespace, not a doc component.

> If you are ready to take on "Namespaces in XML", I would suggest
> something along the lines Michael Kay was talking about, a mechanism
> similar to Java packages.

Yes, that is another approach.  It has its merits, too.  Let's adopt one.

> And as soon as all the good [prefixes] will be taken, all you'll be able
> get will be e-yourdomain-with-some-trailing-junk-online. Now that's a
> prefix I'd like to hand-type in my documents.

Mac developers have been living with registered file extensions for decades.
I work in an office next to one, and I ain't heard him howling. About file
extensions, anyway.

> Say, why not just use fully-qualified DNS names or elements? You
> already have a registry.  Plus, these would be perfectly valid XML 1.0
> names.
>
> <org.w3.Style.XSL.value-of select="."/>

Because guys like me can't type worth $%*(.