   Re: [xml-dev] Parsing efficiency? - why not 'compile'????

At 11:02 AM +0100 2/27/03, Robin Berjon wrote:

>You basically have two groups of people:
>
>   - those that don't need it. For them, it'll make no difference.
>They wouldn't use it. This is not the WXS type of technology that
>dribbles its way through many others.
>
>   - those that do need it. These folks will be able to use XML where
>they couldn't before. And when I say XML, I mean
>AngleBracketedUnicode. Conversion to binary will only happen in the
>steps where it is needed so that most of what those people will see
>will be actual XML.

You left out the biggest category of all:

   - Those of that don't need it but get stuck with it anyway, because
some pointy-haired boss (or business partner, or reader) mistakenly
insists that binary is smaller and faster than text, and thus forces
us to use binary XML instead of the more appropriate text.

|           Processing XML with Java (Addison-Wesley, 2002)          |
|              http://www.cafeconleche.org/books/xmljava             |
| http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ISBN%3D0201771861/cafeaulaitA  |