   Re: [xml-dev] Registered Namespace prefixes

On Thursday 27 February 2003 18:39, Jeff Lowery wrote:
> >   I want prefixes "m" "ms" "microsoft" "ibm" and  "xml" for
> > good measure.
>
> Yes, this is an issue involving around fairness.  Fairness issues, for
> better or worse, are often settled in court (which involves a lot of money
> for absolutely no fun).

The way this is all done in ASN.1 land is with OIDs (like the one in Simon's
signature)

The reason they are unfriendly-looking strings of numbers is because it
totally avoids the politics of trademarks :-)

When writing an OID in textual ASN.1 you can put labels in:

{ iso(1) member-body(2) gb(826) national(0) eng-ltd(1) warhead(4062548) }

But when it's actually operated upon by software, the labels are ignored.
Binary encodings of ASN.1 drop them. They are nothing more than comments to
aid human reading.

Sadly, the URN namespace of OIDs doesn't allow you to put the labels in, so
you're stuck with:

urn:oid:1.2.826.0.1.4062548

ABS

--