   Re: [xml-dev] Registered Namespace prefixes

<Quote>
There is still the trouble associated to the centralized
aspect of such a database, but that can be minimized by sharing
openly the content of the database and allowing free mirroring of
the information herein.

That may actually be useful,
</Quote>

Absolutely. I am not a proponent (and never have been) of the "single
central authority" approach to data management (or whatever term you'd
like to use).  I can definitively tell you that the Federal government
"mindset" (at least in my opinion and experience) is that a series of
such databases (registries for our discussion purposes) that are
interoperable to the point where they can exchange information (perhaps
for replication purposes), and query one another in a uniform manner is
a *very* good thing.  For example, government agency X could have its
own registry that is used to maintain its own XML artifacts;
additionally, it is able to communicate (directly or through a gateway)
with the registries of other government agencies (assuming proper
security policies and mechanisms, etc.).  Topology could be peer-to-peer
topology, hierarchical, hub-and-spoke, or some other topology.

Kind Regards,
Joe Chiusano
Booz | Allen | Hamilton

Daniel Veillard wrote:

> On Thu, Feb 27, 2003 at 02:45:11PM -0500, Chiusano Joseph wrote:
> > Absolutely. As mentioned in my previous e-mails on this thread, the
> > registration of namespace prefixes is not a viable idea, but the
> > registration of namespace identifiers is (in my opinion).
>
>   Okay the unicity being actually managed by other means (DNS or
> IANA) it seems one of the main problems associated to registries
> vanishes. There is still the trouble associated to the centralized
> aspect of such a database, but that can be minimized by sharing
> openly the content of the database and allowing free mirroring of
> the information herein.
>
>   That may actually be useful,
>
> Daniel
>
> P.S.: After all rpmfind.net is nothing else than such a database
>       but targetting a different set of informations. But are you sure
>       you will be able to handle the service over years and years ?
>
> --
> Daniel Veillard      | Red Hat Network https://rhn.redhat.com/
> veillard@redhat.com  | libxml GNOME XML XSLT toolkit  http://xmlsoft.org/
> http://veillard.com/ | Rpmfind RPM search engine http://rpmfind.net/
begin:vcard
n:Chiusano;Joseph
tel;work:(703) 902-6923
x-mozilla-html:FALSE
url:www.bah.com
adr:;;8283 Greensboro Drive;McLean;VA;22012;
version:2.1
email;internet:chiusano_joseph@bah.com
title:Senior Consultant
fn:Joseph M. Chiusano