   Re: [xml-dev] The subsetting has begun

<Quote>
Otherwise, saying "XML provides interoperability" leads to these
grinding permathreads and we are kidding ourselves
about the value of a new subset.
</Quote>

Absolutely agree. XML does not provide interoperability - the use and
correct implementation of common vocabularies (and the correct use of
XML of course) provide interoperability.

Joe Chiusano
Booz | Allen | Hamilton

"Bullard, Claude L (Len)" wrote:

> This is why the definition of interoperability has to
> be looked at critically as I showed earlier in the
> response to Doug Ransom and in my mail on the TAG list
> to Chris.
>
> o exchange information - "ability of two or more systems or components
>   to exchange information and to use the information that has been exchanged [IEEE 90]".
>
> Perry is there.
>
> o request services - "ability of systems to provide services to and accept services from other
>   systems and to use the services so exchanged to enable them to operate effectively
>   together".
>
> Web services are there.
>
> o interchangeable parts -  "be functionally equivalent or interchangeable components of
>   the system or process in which they are used".
>
> I'm not sure if anyone is there if XML 1.0 doesn't define a processor and
> the infoset varies too much among the application languages.  Maybe parsers.
>
> Still...
>
> One should decide where along that almost continuum
> one is "interoperating".  Otherwise, saying
> "XML provides interoperability" leads to these
> grinding permathreads and we are kidding ourselves
> about the value of a new subset.
>
> len
>
> From: John Cowan [mailto:jcowan@reutershealth.com]
>
> W. E. Perry scripsit:
>
> > As last week's discussion made clear, such processors are non-conformant to
> > the XML Rec. That is the reason de jure not to create documents intended for
> > such processors and then call either those documents or those processors
> > 'XML'.
>
> Let's not overdo it here.  Such processors are not XML, but the documents
> they accept certainly are.

begin:vcard
n:Chiusano;Joseph
tel;work:(703) 902-6923
x-mozilla-html:FALSE
url:www.bah.com
adr:;;8283 Greensboro Drive;McLean;VA;22012;
version:2.1
email;internet:chiusano_joseph@bah.com
title:Senior Consultant
fn:Joseph M. Chiusano