len

From: David Megginson [mailto:david@megginson.com]

Tim Bray writes:

 > Charles Goldfarb (lead designer of SGML) actually suggested that we do
 > this in XML, simply forbid mixed content.

I'd be pretty suspicious of Charles on this point -- it would have
ensured that people kept using SGML for large documentation systems
and limited XML to Web stuff.

I do believe that it would be useful to have a middle-level data layer
(say, "XDL") on top of XML.  That layer could enforce both
restrictions (no mixed content) and more abstract, data-specific
conventions (such as typing, if it were actually a good idea).  Other
data oriented specs could be built on top of it.