   Re: [xml-dev] Tree v. Table - A relational XML object model...?

David Megginson wrote:

> I don't know if I'd take a strictly relational approach for an XML
> data layer.

With a blank sheet, neither would I. But XQuery has already effectively
done just that, and XQuery and other projects which incorporate WXS by
reference seem to have colored the understanding of WXS datatypes--by
friend and foe--to a RDBMS vocabulary. The title of this thread suggests
how pervasive is the notion that an object model expression of
relational tables is the goal. Given that, and my own prejudices, I
would rather see such an object model used for populating relational
tables on the output of an XML parse than for the XQuery route of
imposing a virtual non-document-based, non-parsed 'XML view' over the
relational tables.

Respectfully,

Walter Perry