   RE: [xml-dev] RE: Take 2 - How do you replace comments from XML?

(thread merge)

>>I'd hazard a guess there isn't a clear
> > demarcation system that encourages good practice.
>
> You guess is incorrect.  Take a look at one and see for yourself.

My guess may well be incorrect, but I haven't yet seen any evidence.
After 10 minutes searching on TechNet I haven't been able to find a full
example, but returning to Domenica's example it appears to be of this form :

<appSettings>
	<!-- settings related to X -->
		<add key="a" value="1"/>
		<add key="b" value="2"/>
	<!-- settings related to Y -->
		<add key="c" value="3"/>
		<add key="d" value="4"/>
</appSettings>

which suggests that there is no built-in mechanism for grouping key,value
pairs within the appSettings block. Which is fine, as long as you don't want
to group pairs in these blocks. But the original question suggests this
might be desirable. This being the case, then something like this might be
appropriate :

<appSettings>
	<group name="X">
		<add key="a" value="1"/>
		<add key="b" value="2"/>
	</group>
	<group name="Y">
		<add key="c" value="3"/>
		<add key="d" value="4"/>
	</group>
</appSettings>

Which is about the same in human-readability terms, but a bit better for
machines.
So I'll go with Bill's request for a solution to the original poster's
problem.

Cheers,
Danny.