   Re: [xml-dev] Registered Namespace prefixes

On Fri, Mar 07, 2003 at 03:26:44PM -0500, Gavin Thomas Nicol wrote:
> On Friday 07 March 2003 01:41 pm, Daniel Veillard wrote:
> >  So you want to ban any Jabber like processing of XML by forcing the
> > universe of vocabularies usable in an instance to be known at the
> > time and by the framework where you emit the root opening tag ?
>
> No, and namespaces don't solve that problem anyway. It's a red herring.
>
> If I declare my messages to be:
>
>   <!ELEMENT message (head?, body)>
>   <!ELEMENT head (property+)>
>   <!ELEMENT property (#PCDATA)>
>   <!ATTLIST property CDATA #REQUIRED>
>   <!ELEMENT body ANY>

  Nobody cares about DTDs in that context it's obvious they doesn't work
or are useless.

> Second, how do namespaces help?

  To identify the processing module handling a given element in the stream
A stream amy be open now and closed in one month realistically, it's a
single XML instance (2 actually one each way).

> >  I think I disagree. Even if it would clearly be simpler, it would be
> > a problem in a number of cases, XSLT and Jabber being prime examples.
>
> The only reason why these work is that they have a specification that
> *processors* of that specific tag set adhere to (i.e. the set of *known* tags
> is predefined). Namespaces aren't necessary here either... plain old prefixes
> would work just as well.

  Avoiding clashes unicity. I don't want to enter that debate wether
thay are the right tool they are the available tool.