   Re: [xml-dev] Registered Namespace prefixes

On Fri, Mar 07, 2003 at 06:20:31PM -0500, Gavin Thomas Nicol wrote:
> On Friday 07 March 2003 04:37 pm, Daniel Veillard wrote:
> Now, to say that Jabber needs namespaces in order to handle arbitrary content
> is simply specious at best. The examples I see from Jabber are things like
> this:
>
>   <iq type='set' to='responder@company-a.com/jrpc-server' id='1'>
>     <query xmlns='jabber:iq:rpc'>
>       . . .
>     </query>
>   </iq>

  There is also (or were when I looked last year) elements allowing
any kind of extensions (in iq, it was <x> IIRC), i.e. allowing
to plug XML-RPC, XHTML or SMIL or anything else the sender may wish
to propagate at that point. In a message bus kind of use that
flexibility is critical.

> > > Second, how do namespaces help?
> >
> > To identify the processing module handling a given element in the stream
>
> Sure... a dispatch mechanism... an *application specific* dispatch mechanism.
> How do you specify the binding between the namespace and the code that get's
> executed? In a config file? The namespaces don't help here except to provide
> *a* means for specifying the binding, kind of like UUID's in the Windows
> registry. Personally, I think it quite silly to constrain an application to
> dispatch on namespaces alone. That's just another form of tight binding...

  tight in coupling, but very flexible and relatively safe (from an unicity
point of view).

> > Avoiding clashes unicity. I don't want to enter that debate wether
> > thay are the right tool they are the available tool.
>
> Not *the* available tool, *an* available tool... and, FWIW, we've had prefixes
> since *way* before namespace declarations.

  But namespaces is the syntactic construct which is standardized for this.

> >   End of Thread from me.
>
> If you go around making statements that imply that Jabber-like systems are
> impossible to build without using namespaces, you should expect debate, and
> be prepared to back up your assertion. Not everyone adheres to the dogma that
> namespaces are a necessary evil.

  It's precisely that Thread you try to drive in and which I don't want to
enter. Maybe I came in the wrong thread, sorry my mistake I will avoid that
in the future.

Daniel