   Re: [xml-dev] What are the characteristics of a good type system for XML

Amelia A.Lewis scripsit:

> Urk.  Right.  Bob Foster points out, in another email in this thread,
> that there are ways of asking the plugin "are you sortable?".  But
> clearly my proposal here is too facile.

This led me to consider what rationalized constraining facets would
look like.  On the syntactic side, pattern does it all; the RNG rule that
multiple patterns are ANDed is IMHO superior to the WXS rule that they
are ORed.

On the value side, we need to know whether a type is sortable, as you
say.  If so, then maxInclusive, maxExclusive, minInclusive, and minExclusive
are necessary and sufficient.

Then there needs to be some notion of whether a a type has an exact
or only an inexact representation.  In the latter case, precision is
a suitable constraining facet: for example, an inexact representation of pi
like 3.1415 could be constrained to have .0001 precision.

What do you think?

--
In politics, obedience and support      John Cowan <jcowan@reutershealth.com>
are the same thing.  --Hannah Arendt    http://www.ccil.org/~cowan