   Re: [xml-dev] What are the characteristics of a good type systemfor XML?

John Cowan wrote:

> This led me to consider what rationalized constraining facets would
> look like.  On the syntactic side, pattern does it all; the RNG rule that
> multiple patterns are ANDed is IMHO superior to the WXS rule that they
> are ORed.

Actually, WXS ANDs in some circumstances and ORs in others: it ANDs the
the pattern from the base type with the pattern from the restricting
type, whereas it ORs two pattern facets on the same type.  Thus, trang
translates:

demo = xsd:string { pattern = "[a-z ]*" pattern=".* .*" }

<xs:schema xmlns:xs="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema";
elementFormDefault="qualified">
   <xs:simpleType name="demo">
     <xs:restriction>