   Re: [xml-dev] One (jaundiced?) view of Microsoft's vision for XML

In a message dated 15/05/2003 14:57:55 GMT Daylight Time, frank@therichards.org writes:

Andrew (and Dare),

I have the Office 11 beta installed, and I think the XML capabilities
are both cool and technically impressive. However, since Microsoft is
effectively making them an extra cost option, the vision of generally
available XML editing that was presented in Baltimore turns out to be
never-to-be-delivered vaporware.

Frank,

I wasn't at this famous / notorious talk from (I assume) Jean Paoli. Either what he said hasn't happened or what you thought you heard wasn't what he thought he said. :) I don't know which it is.

I can't imagine any senior corporate figure committing to make a new product like InfoPath available free in the way you seem to have heard him say. Why would it be free? It looks to be a good, interesting and innovative product. So why free?

Given that very recent track record, I think Rick is more than justified
in calling any Microsoft announcement vaporware until you can actually
find it on the shelf at your local dealer.

Of course, as the corporate marketing people say, things can change but InfoPath works (in the beta version) and has oodles of potential. So vapourware? I don't think so. I, for one, will be very disappointed if it doesn't make it to market. And I will be surprised if it doesn't have a considerable impact.

The fact that something you imagined might be available free will have to be paid for doesn't, by any logic I can follow, make it "vapourware".

Andrew Watt