   RE: [xml-dev] YAML Ain't Markup Language

> Data-centric: The whole Schema crowd, who tend to see XML
> documents as
> equivalent to hierarchical databases

It probably depends on the use of the term "database", but "equivalent to"
is probably too strong a comparison.  With XQuery, certainly, XML documents
start becoming more like databases, but I would wager simple data
serialization/deserialization using XML is by far the most common
data-centric use case at this time.

I would also say that data documents tend to be normalized: look at how JDK
1.4 bean encoding serializes hashmaps, for example.  I don't know that
avoiding duplication of data components would be as much cause for concern
among doc-heads.