   RE: [xml-dev] YAML Ain't Markup Language

At 10:51 AM 6/6/2003 -0700, Dare Obasanjo wrote:

>I often here folks on XML-DEV talk about the distinction between
>data-centric vs. document-centric uses of XML yet I've always failed to
>see how these uses of XML are at loggerheads. This now seems to me to be
>the typical XML-DEV posturing the advance an agenda.

Data is information that a computer can process. A document is information
that I can process.

>Does anyone have any concrete differences between such uses of XML that
>require such divisive terms as "doc vs data people".

Sure. A document person is someone who doesn't appreciate the significance
of using XML for data. A data person is someone who doesn't appreciate the
significance of using XML for documents intended for humans. You can
usually identify a document person when he calls someone else a datahead.
You can usually identify a data person when he calls someone else a dochead.

Then there are the XML people, who understand the significance of XML for
both documents and data.

Jonathan