   Re: [xml-dev] YAML Ain't Markup Language

Dare Obasanjo wrote:

> Does anyone have any concrete differences between such uses of XML that require such divisive terms as "doc vs data people".

I'm with Paul Prescod, I've always thought that ordering was the thing
that makes XML different from old-fashioned "data processing" thinking.
  In most (but not all) documents, order is really significant.  And
I've read Adam Bosworth griping because typical XML APIs do regard order
as significant by default.

It seems to me that the basic idea of descriptive markup is now
well-established enough that the XML universe exhibits sufficient
cultural flexibility to allow people who care about order (and mixed
content, and so on) to co-exist with those who don't, the angst here on
xml-dev notwithstanding.

--
Cheers, Tim Bray
         (ongoing fragmented essay: http://www.tbray.org/ongoing/)