   ANN: XUL Alliance Goes Live - New XML UI Standards Body Emerging?

Hi,

  In case you haven't heard I launched the XUL
Alliance site sporting the tagline "Creating A Rich
Internet For Everyone".

  The goal is to promote all things XUL (XML UI
Language) and to provide free test suites to help
ensure interoperability between different XUL
motors/browsers/runtimes and free, open-source
show-case examples (aka blue prints) to demo the power
of XML for creating UIs.

  For now the XUL Alliance Site sports:

    * XUL News Wire — Breaking News About XUL; also
known as the xul-announce Mailing List

    * The Richmond Post — Chronicle of the XUL
Revolution; XUL News Weblog

    * xul-talk Mailing List — Beyond Mozilla; Talk
about XUL issues touching more than one XUL
motor/browser/runtime

    * XUL Lecture Series — Rich Clients, Rich
Browsers, Rich Portals and much more

    * XUL Link-opida — Articles, FAQs, Cheat Sheets
and much more

  You can find out more @ http://xul.sourceforge.net

  The XUL alliance site kick-off spawned some "flame
wars" about the question "What is XUL (XML UI
Language)?

  If you're interested in hairsplitting, you might
wonna read up on the discussion in the MozillaZine @
http://www.mozillazine.org/talkback.html?article=3213
http://sourceforge.net/mailarchive/forum.php?forum=xul-talk

  The heated debate also uncovered some gems. If I may
quote Mozilla XUL, Firebird (nee Phoenix) and Safari
legend David Hyatt:

<quote>
We have no plans to standardize the tagset or syntax
through an external organization like the W3C.
</quote>

  I also tried to stir up the W3C XForms folks with
posts to their www-forms@w3.org mailinglist such as
"XUL Alliance Site Goes Live - New XML UI Standards
Body Emerging?" and "W3C XForms: Rest In Peace".

     So far nobody cares.

  As I see it W3C XForms is a good real-world case
study of premature standardization (in-contrast to
"build it first and standarize later") and I had a
discussion back in April with the XFroms community and
spec leads that you might wonna check out @
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-forms/2003Apr/thread.html

  See the threads entitled "Welcome to the Real-World;
The Future of XForms" @
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-forms/2003Apr/0014.html
 and "The Devil of Good is Perfect" @
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-forms/2003Apr/0039.html
 , for example.

  To add some urgency to the discussion may I point
out the XUL News Wire story titled "Microsoft will
ship Longhorn Betas with built-in XUL motor this fall"
@
http://article.gmane.org/gmane.comp.lang.xul.announce/17

  If I may quote:
<quote>
The Longhorn compilers, for instance, will use XML
script files to create user-interface functions with a
few lines of XML code that before would have required
hundreds, if not thousands, of lines of C# coding. And
the Longhorn software developer kit, which is also due
out this fall, will come with prebuilt XML Application
Markup Language (XAML) schemas for many UI functions
</quote>

    Ok, that's it. Any thoughts?

  - Gerald

PS: If you wonder: Who is this guy? Check out my
ongoing "Rich Clients, Rich Browsers, Rich Portals"
lecture series @
http://xul.sourceforge.net/events.html