   RE: [xml-dev] XML 1.1 and Unicode normalization

> this i18n novice was perplexed upon first reading of
> wd-xml11/charmod and remains perplexed upon rereading
> cr-xml11/charmod.
>
> it would be clear how to proceed if xml-11 does not mention charmod.
>
> it would be clear how to proceed if xml-11 incorporates
> charmod and requires processors to normalize - thereby
> entailing normalization-checking.

On the contrary, charmod, as I read it, expressly says that users are
required to ensure that all strings are normalized, and expressly
prohibits anyone from providing text processing software to help users
perform this task.

So it doesn't surprise me in the slightest that no-one wants to touch
this with a bargepole.

Michael Kay