   Re: [xml-dev] XSLT, RDF, fragment identifiers

> [This question crosses XSLT, RDF, and general web architecture, so
> xml-dev seems like an appropriately cross-cultural place to post it.]
>
> Does XSLT (in 1.0 or 2.0) have an understanding of fragment identifiers?
>
> I'm dealing with a case where information looks like:
>
> <foaf:knows rdf:resource="#ben"/>
> <foaf:knows rdf:resource="#bitworking"/>
> <foaf:knows rdf:resource="#clkeller"/>
>
> All of those rdf:resource attributes act like IDREFs, pointing elsewhere
> in the same document, but of course they're not IDREFs - and the IDs to
> which they point are rdf:ID attributes, which aren't declared with a
> DOCTYPE.
>
> Hunting around on Google didn't bring much up, but then fragment
> identifiers aren't exactly the most exciting stuff.  I'm thinking that I
> can solve this particular case with some XPath string tweaking and keys,
> but I seriously doubt XSLT is an appropriate environment for parsing
> URIs to figure out where to look and what to take.
>
> (Except maybe with the xpath1() scheme [1], of course, but that's highly
> unofficial.)
>
> This seems to make XSLT even less appropriate for working with RDF than
> I'd originally thought, though I'd be happy to be shown wrong in this
> case.

Unsatisfactory answer (and how I do it): Use a processor that has a
normalize-url() or resolve-url() extension function.  For example: 4Suite.  I
think Saxon has such a beast as well.  In 4XSLT it's resolve-url(), namespace
http://xmlns.4suite.org/ext

I usually combine this with an xsl:key that indexes rdf:about and rdf:ID.
That way I can resolve fragments to full URIs and then look them up easily and
efficiently.

XML Data Bindings in Python - http://www.xml.com/pub/a/2003/06/11/py-xml.html
Introducing Examplotron - http://www-106.ibm.com/developerworks/xml/library/x-x
mptron/