   Re: [xml-dev] Relax NG and Web Services (formerly Joining the church)

Bob Foster said:
> I don't see how ambiguity adds any difficulty except the need for
> duplicate removal (the "set" in First set).

Let's say you have the following schema:

start = {

  element foo {one, two}
  | element foo {two, three }
}

one = element one {empty}
two = element two {empty}
three = element three {empty}

And the following instance document:

<foo>
 <two/>
</foo>

Being able to say that <foo/> is incomplete because either a leading
<one/> or a trailing <three/> is missing isn't that obvious.
The derivative alogorithm which removes pieces of schema after they've
been used doesn't help since at the end of the evaluation of the second
altervative, you may have thrown away the first one.
(Of course this example is pretty basic but this may rapidly become quite
complex)
Eric

--
Freelance consulting and training.