   Re: [xml-dev] Binary XML == "spawn of the devil" ?

Robin LaFontaine wrote:
> There was a paper in this area by Daniel Winkowski (Mitre Corp) at XML
> 2002 in Baltimore, with the title, "XML Sizing and Compression Study for
> Military Wireless Data" [1]. Conclusion was as far as I remember from
> the presentation: XML+compression is best!

There's only one good answer in that area: it depends. If what you want
is smaller size, then compression can work very well (especially things
like XMill, which IIRC was what that talk covered). It is however
usually beaten by schema-based encodings. In fact, to researchers in the
field, gzip is considered to be your event horizon.

But compression only solves... compression. It does not address
streambility, random access, speed of processing... all of which are
frequent requests.

--
Robin Berjon