   Re: [xml-dev] Binary XML == "spawn of the devil" ?

Liam Quin wrote:

>>Adding even more confusion is the fact that the CFP pretty much puts gzip
>>up against ASN.1 when there are many more solutions,
>
> I hope we do get more solutions offered in position papers.

How can you compare gzip and ASN.1? One's a function from bit strings to
(ideally smaller) bit strings, one's a function from information to bit
strings.

I can't come to this event, but if anyone starts comparing gzip and
ASN.1, please shout at them for me?

Gzip is something you can do to *any* encoding to get a more compact
encoding at the loss of time and space costs on encoding and decoding
devices.

So compare XML to ASN.1's BER or PER, and gzipped XML to gzipped BER or
PER. I'm sick of seeing people say "I ran this complex compression
algorithm on my inefficient format and it came out smaller than this
less inefficient format"!

ABS