   Re: [xml-dev] Symbol Grounding and Running Code: Is XML Really Extensib

> I agree with Tim that XML is a name/label/structure
> system and as such, doesn't care much about this
> debate. However, that simply says the developer
> has to care, so we still have to face up to the
> symbol grounding problem elaborated in detail
> by Charles Peirce in his papers on semiotics over
> a hundred years ago and clarified in the works
> of John Sowa.  Harnad [3] explains it satisfactorily
> in terms of AI approaches including combining
> connection systems (eg, neural netws) with symbol
> systems.  All good background, but there are other
> approaches and we should explore these.

Why do we have to face up to the symbol grounding problem? If I
systematically replace "meaningful" with "valid" I can come up with
solutions for namespace composability that are purely syntactic. E.g., James
Clark's NRL.

Why not leave meaning the province of humans, who sometimes write programs
to give an operational "meaning" to XML documents? The meaning is not
intrinsic to the document; only the syntax is.

> In short, clearly namespaces enable composability
> at the syntactic level.  Just as clearly, many
> combinations are meaningless.

If you say many combinations are invalid and will not be accepted by some
program, we have grounds for agreement. But if you want to assert that
combinations are meaningful that will not be accepted by any program, I
wonder what is the point?

Truly puzzled but willing to learn.

Bob Foster

http://www.ecs.soton.ac.uk/~harnad/Papers/Harnad/harnad90.sgproblem.html