   Re: [xml-dev] XML database enviroment using PostgreSQL

<Quote>
I suppose we could apply the terms "publishing-oriented" and
"database-oriented", but again, people's view of what a database is may
conflict as well.
</Quote>

Ah - but one runs into trouble there as well (you'll no doubt here "but
my publications are stored in a database in my content management
system"). I would keep "publishing-oriented" - and make the terms
"publishing-oriented" and "exchange-oriented".

Kind Regards,
Joe Chiusano
Booz | Allen | Hamilton

Doug Rudder wrote:

> Picking a term is always difficult because it often comes down to semantics
> (even the term "semantic" has different semantic value in different
> contexts).  Last December, Elliotte provided a brief definition of
> "narrative" and "record-like" which made a lot of sense and proved helpful
> in coordinating data-sharing with our sister company:
>
> "All XML documents are documents. All XML documents contain data. I prefer
> to talk about
> "narrative" documents and "record-like" documents. In narrative documents
> order generally matters a great deal and mixed content is common. In record
> like documents order is of limited importance and mixed content is rare."
>
> The company I work for publishes pharmaceutical reference products, both
> print and electronic.  Our sister company produces database applications for
> pharmacies.  Understanding the differences between the types of content
> structures we deal with helped define the problem space of integrating the
> two data sets and develop a solution.
>
> I suppose we could apply the terms "publishing-oriented" and
> "database-oriented", but again, people's view of what a database is may
> conflict as well.
> ____________________________________
> Douglas Rudder     drudder@drugfacts.com
> "If we've learned anything from the first 5 years of XML,
> it's that it can't succeed as a "big ball of mud" that
> pollutes document applications with data-specific concepts
> or data applications with document-specific concepts."
>   -- Mike Champion

begin:vcard
n:Chiusano;Joseph
tel;work:(703) 902-6923
x-mozilla-html:FALSE
url:www.bah.com
adr:;;8283 Greensboro Drive;McLean;VA;22012;
version:2.1
email;internet:chiusano_joseph@bah.com
title:Senior Consultant
fn:Joseph M. Chiusano