   Re: [xml-dev] Federal Court says Microsoft infringed UC, Eolas WebObject

Jonathan Robie wrote:
> Eolas and the University of California claimed that Microsoft infringed
> U.S. Patent No. 5,838,906, and the federal court agreed. If I am reading
> it correctly, which may not be the case, this patent seems to cover all
> embedded objects in web browsers that get their data from other programs
> over the Internet. That describes the architecture of a lot of web pages!

Well, while I don't rejoice at the idea of such a stupid patent being enforced,
I do hope this will trigger some activity to kill and replace the whole plugin
architecture (if it can even be called that) and replace it with sane ways to
handle multi-namespace documents. At long last.

--
Robin Berjon <robin.berjon@expway.fr>
Research Engineer, Expway        http://expway.fr/