   Re: [xml-dev] Federal Court says Microsoft infringed UC, Eolas Web Objec

In a message dated 18/08/2003 15:12:48 GMT Daylight Time, robin.berjon@expway.fr writes:

Jonathan Robie wrote:
>Eolas and the University of California claimed that Microsoft infringed
>U.S. Patent No. 5,838,906, and the federal court agreed. If I am reading
>it correctly, which may not be the case, this patent seems to cover all
>embedded objects in web browsers that get their data from other programs
>over the Internet. That describes the architecture of a lot of web pages!

Well, while I don't rejoice at the idea of such a stupid patent being enforced,
I do hope this will trigger some activity to kill and replace the whole plugin
architecture (if it can even be called that) and replace it with sane ways to
handle multi-namespace documents. At long last.

Robin,

Can you be confident that nobody holds a patent for mixing elements from different namespaces?

Andrew Watt