   Re: [xml-dev] Pushing all the buttons

Rick Marshall wrote:
i'd reckon making it work is the first priority - efficiency can come
later.

I had an interesting experience with a bank once: they were not happy with the performance
of XML when validating (because it slowed things down enough that they could not do their
system integrity trials, which included both validation and load testing at the same time), but
when I suggested caching the DTD, they seemed to think this would be a bit too much
fiddling.  In their case, if it wasn't efficient, it didn't work.

So there is certainly a class of developers who, perhaps for good reasons of experience,
expect that the difference between the out-of-the-box performance of a technology
and the optimized performance should only be O(n) linear. I.e. that optimization
is tweaking, not rewriting. Or, perhaps, that all optimizations are available through
GUI switches or command-line arguments (or factory methods, or properties),
not hacking by code.

So --though I generally agree (who would gainsay Knuth et al.?) with Rick-- yet we cannot treat
performance as a side-issue, or people with critical needs for high performance as speed-obsessed
spoilers of the XML fun.

Cheers
Rick Jelliffe