   Re: [xml-dev] Pushing all the buttons

don't get me wrong - efficiency is important, i should know - it took me
10 years to get my database working fast enough, but what i'm saying is
it's irrelevant if the project doesn't work first.

in software engineering terms, bubble sort is a lousy mechanism, but it
works (and you'd be amazed at just how many hackers still use it). once
we knew sorting works we could develop better mechanisms - and quick
sort remains the staple of in memory sorting - because it's
mathematically as good as it gets - and it's heaps (excuse the pun)
better.

right now we know xml parsing works, even though we often complain about
the speed. now we need to understand better the mathematics of parsing
xml and then we can make the parsing work better.

if we want to throw it out then someone should come up with the maths
and prove it will never be parsed very fast and then we can all say,
well it was a good idea.. and move on.

i'm about to do some work on this, for my own selfish reasons, but if
the list is interested i'll gradually publish results.

rick