   Re: [xml-dev] Pushing all the buttons

K. Ari Krupnikov wrote:
So there is certainly a class of developers who [expect] that all
optimizations are available through GUI switches or command-line
arguments (or factory methods, or properties), not hacking by code.

So maybe we should concentrate on DTD caching (catalogs anyone?),
maybe with GUI switches or command-line arguments, instead of binary
XML?
Oh, not at all. The point is that the distinction between what is intrinsic to XML and
what the current generation of XML parsers support out-of-the-box is academic to
people building systems; when people claim "we need binary XML because XML
performance is too bad" it is useless for us to say "you are confusing the tools
for the notation/paradigm"; they will answer "XML performance doesn't exist
apart from (what is readily available in) the available tools".

Cheers
Rick Jelliffe