   Re: [xml-dev] relax ng public list?

John Cowan <jcowan@reutershealth.com> writes:

> Dave Pawson scripsit:
>
> > James Clark writes:
> >
> > >I don't understand what's wrong with using this list for questions
> > >about  RELAX NG.
> >
> > Purely perception, but IMHO, its near as damn it off topic?
>
> Very much on topic: we are about XML technologies, of which RNG is definitely one;
> it's about validation of XML documents, quite independently of whether a
> particular RNG schema is expressed in XML or not.

I had xsl-list in mind when I wrote what James took exception to. I
have been reluctant to ask RELAX NG questions here, mindful of the
usual "this question is better asked at xsl-list" introduction to XSLT
answers. (might have turned out for the better, too, because so far, I
have been able to figure my RELAX NG questions out RTFS, if sometimes for
long stretches at a time)

> > >I don't think a separate mailing list would be a very good forum for RELAX
> > >NG evangelism: that would be somewhat of a case of preaching to the choir.

Maybe I'm not the only one who didn't know you were willing to answer
RELAX NG questions here. Also, xsl-list begat xsl-faq, something I
can't see developing in a general forum. Do you think RELAX NG would
suffer from "this question better asked over there"?

> > Its my bet (OK, not to be lost) that xslt would be less than it is
> > without xslt-list?
> > They may preach to the choir, but the questions are answered... mostly
> > politely
>
> I agree that this would be a Good Thing, and if someone will supply infra
> structure, I'd be happy to answer newbie questions.

Perhaps the admins of relaxng.sf.net would want to create a mailing
list, easy as it is on SF? James? Kohsuke?

Ari.