   Re: [xml-dev] relax ng public list?

At 13:46 23/09/2003 +0700, James Clark wrote:
> > As for building a community, evangelizing & answering beginners'
> > questions, it I don't know if any of the people involved have the time
> > or the desire to.
>
>I don't understand what's wrong with using this list for questions
>about  RELAX NG.

Purely perception, but IMHO, its near as damn it off topic?
I still see relax-ng as marginal, despite my personal preferences?
I took one look at Henry's xsd and cried off.

>  Surely this mailing list is not restricted to discussion of
> W3C-recommended technologies.

No?

>I don't think a separate mailing list would be a very good forum for RELAX
>NG evangelism: that would be somewhat of a case of preaching to the choir.

I again quote Tommie, Tony Graham and the xslt list.
Its my bet (OK, not to be lost) that xslt would be less than it is
without xslt-list?
They may preach to the choir, but the questions are answered... mostly
politely

>In any case, speaking for myself, I am not much into evangelism. If a
>potential user feels another schema language meets their needs better than
>RELAX NG, I have no desire to change their mind.  I merely wish to make
>sure that users know that they have a choice.

<grin/> Like I said, your about as much of a salesman as I am!

>As for community building, the community I am concerned about is the XML
>community.  I do not want to build a separate RELAX NG community. I think
>the difference between RELAX NG and W3C XML Schema is not just a matter of
>a choice of one tool rather than another, but reflects a fundamental
>difference in philosophy about XML usage and processing.

I don't see it as building a separate community James,
more of saying hey we think this works, try it and ask your questions here?
More a way of building a community?

>As such, I think the XML community is best served by having RELAX NG
>discussions in this list, rather than separated off into a another list.

<opinion class='personal'>xml-dev can be perceived as the territory of
the high and mighty, been there done that, which is, possibly, why
xsl-list worked, I don't know.</opinion>

On the downside, I don't see many Tommie/Tony G's around, prepared
to put in the hours to keep a clean list, spam free and effectively
monitored for on-topic posts.

regards DaveP.. I'll shut up now.