   Re: [xml-dev] UTF-8+names

Joern Clausen <joern@TechFak.Uni-Bielefeld.DE> writes:

> On Tue, Oct 21, 2003 at 05:17:09PM +1000, Rick Jelliffe wrote:
> > That is one design flaw in only having a single delimiter for named
> > references:
>
> I don't think that is a flaw. I repeat my question, which was not
> answered yet: Why are only elements and attributes subject to a
> namespace definition, but not entities? Has this been discussed while
> preparing the Namespaces REC, and was it decided not to go this way for
> any good reason? Pointers to mail archives are welcome.

Are you talking about QNames in entity declarations or entity
references? I can just about see <a:b&c:d;e xmlns:c="&fg:h;"/> as an
element name.

About half the code I write for XML processing deals with
namespaces. I'm not looking forward to making that 75%.

Ari.

--
Elections only count as free and trials as fair if you can lose money
betting on the outcome.