   RE: [xml-dev] Word 2003 schemas available

  • To: "Murali Mani" <mani@CS.UCLA.EDU>
  • Subject: RE: [xml-dev] Word 2003 schemas available
  • From: "Michael Rys" <mrys@microsoft.com>
  • Date: Tue, 18 Nov 2003 10:52:37 -0800
  • Cc: <xml-dev@lists.xml.org>

The point regarding PIs is that it is just markup and has no semantics.
Only a processor that sees the PI and understands its target will act on
it. It does not introduce "code" into XML any more or any less than an
element with a specific markup.

For example, for SQL Server 2000 we designed a so called SQLXML
template: an XML file that contains markup with special names that
execute a query against a database. We decided to use a special
namespace and XML elements for giving this information, but
theoretically, we could have used processing-instructions as well. XSLT
processors for example interpret a special PI as an instruction to
transform an XML document containing that PI using the indicated XSLT
transform. Theoretically, XSLT could have chosen an XML element in a
special namespace for doing so.

There are some trade-offs to be made, but neither approach is more or
less secure per se.

Best regards
Michael

So