   RE: [xml-dev] Re: XML and a text editor, barefoot in the winter,uphill b

On Wed, 2003-11-19 at 10:16, Ari.Nordstrom@sorman.com wrote:
> Simon St. Laurent wrote...
> > We do accept a subset of DocBook, but it also depends on the author's
> > preference (of course), the editor's preference (some folks
> > aren't fond
> > of XML), and the series (Missing Manuals and Hacks so far are Word
> > only.)
>
> Just out of curiosity: Does O'Reilly (still?) accept TeX as input format? And what about LaTeX? I tend to use Linux as much as I can but there's (IMHO) no good XML editor available for it, so I use LyX for most of my (Linux-based) writing.
>
> And while we're discussing the topic, does anyone know if there's a decent XML editor available for Linux (and I don't mean emacs)?

It's probably too early to describe it as even half-decent but I've been
working on a XML editor called Conglomerate (www.conglomerate.org) which
might eventually become what you're after.

Our aim is to create something that end-users can use for DocBook
editing.  It should support all well-formed XML, and tries to ensure
validity as you edit.  It's got more of a "structural" than a WYSIWYG
GUI.  Screenshots available here:
http://www.conglomerate.org/shots.php

Unfortunately it's currently too buggy and slow for real use - offers of
help (and indeed employment) are welcome!.   It's open source, licensed
under the GPL, and should be build-able without excessive pain on any
relatively up-to-date Linux/Unix system, and possibly (with some pain)
on Mac OS X and Windows.