   Re: [xml-dev] Relating to XML

J.Pietschmann wrote:

> This is about to change, B2B is in full swing. Currently, it is mostly
> based on bilateral agreements within a long term partnership (or, well,
> unilateral enforcements, as it happens when GM tells their smaller
> 'partners' "use this software to bid on our e-marketplace").
> I suspect over some time the data model used in communication will
> stabilize and creep into the core systems of the enterprises, with or
> without the  help of Oracle and PeopleSoft, and then the *real* rush
> begins...

I hope so!

In my day job as a developer of software for the (hack, spit) marketing
sector, I was at a seminar where companies who try to get traffic to web
sites were showing off their wares, and one of them had a bit of
software that sat on top of a wide range of sites that auction 'links';
like when you see adverts on a Google page, that is because several
people have said "I'll give you X cents if somebody clicks on my link
from a page showing a search for 'cheeses'". Google picks the top 3
highest bids for the search in question and displays them in order. If
you click on one of the links, the bidder gets charged what they promised.

What this software did was to manage your bidding, ensuring that you bid
1 cent higher than the person currently in the place beneath you - since
there's no benefit to you in bidding any higher than that; it'll still
earn you 1st place.

But I found myself wondering just how the communication between their
app and the different sites who were auctioning ad space worked. It's
quite possibly something involving XML over HTTP. But even if it isn't,
it was clearly working to the benefit of the industry, and that's what
matters!

Although the benefit to *humanity* of software that puts ads on web
pages is more questionable, perhaps ;-)

> J.Pietschmann

ABS