   Re: [Sax-devel] Re: [xml-dev] SAX and endDocument

On 21 Dec 2003, at 06:04, Karl Waclawek wrote:

[Snip]
> This is definitely the case for AElfred2, but the API docs are not
> crystal
>> clear on the subject (though I thought they used to be).  With
>> AElfred2,
>> even in the case of a user generated exception the endDocument
>> handler will
>> be called. In Xerces if an exception occurs it stops the process
>> completely
>> omitting the endDocument call.
>
> When I wrote the SAX2 wrapper for Expat I had it the Xerces way, but
> then I re-read the specs and changed my mind, mostly because the docs
> for endDocument() use the same wording as for startDocument()
> (which is guaranteed):
>
> "The SAX parser will invoke this method only once..."
>
> On the other hand one could say that because a SAX parser does not
> throw
> exceptions for parse errors, exception handling is outside of its scope
> and one should therefore follow the normal practice that an exception
> (thrown by an error handler) really should force parse() to return
> immediately.
> This would make more sense to me.
>
> So, instead of answering your question I will join your request
> for clarification.

This thread on Sax-Devel is relavent to this discussion
http://www.geocrawler.com/mail/thread.php3?subject=%5BSax-
devel%5D+endDocument+throwing+an+exception&list=13179

My understanding is that a parser is required to always call
endDocument()

John Wilson
The Wilson Partnership
http://www.wilson.co.uk