   Re: [xml-dev] Postel's law, exceptions

On Jan 15, 2004, at 12:31 PM, Elliotte Rusty Harold wrote:

> It's just too hard to figure out what's missing, and correctly repair
> it, The proper response is to drop the document, and perhaps kick back
> an error to its publisher.

Empirically, for the domain of weblogs, newsfeeds, and RSS-like
syndications thereof, this does not seem to be true that it is hard to
repair broken RSS, at least to the point that it is human readable.
And since the whole point of weblogs is that the "publisher" is anybody
out there who has something to say, kicking back something because it
has the wrong encoding declaration seems more likely to discourage them
from syndicating their site than to get them to figure out how to fix
their XML.

I agree with Danny Ayers that Atom needs to set its sights on a higher
standard so that dumb machines can consume Atom reliably.  It remains
to be seen whether XML conformance must be built in to the front end of
the system or whether it can be filtered in en route in order to get
those advantages downstream.