   Re: [xml-dev] [off-topic] Web services best practice information?

Ian Graham wrote:

>Yes, We're aiming for WS-I compliance, so this is consistent with what
>we were thinking.  And we consciously want to avoid multiparts, for the
>reasons you outlined (below, but chopped).
>
>But I can't find any examples of current practice -- what works well,
>what doesn't, etc. Would've thought this would be a common pattern,
>somehow ...
>
>As per Joseph's thought, I looked at ws-dev
>(http://aspn.activestate.com/ASPN/Mail/Browse/Threaded/ws-dev), but it
>seems that list died off about 2 years ago ... Is it revived somewhere else?

I don't know of much out there that actually talks about these types of
issues. The whole topic of header usage is still pretty much up in the
air, though with OASIS formalizing a version of WS-Security this should
help establish usage patterns.

Your particular requirement, to enable debug information in the request
and have it returned in the response, is somewhat unusual in that most
applications would not want to expose any type of internal information
to clients. I can see where it would make sense for some environments,
though, especially when there may be external dependencies that need to
be tracked during the processing of requests. All I can suggest is that
you look at the types of information you want to include and define an
XML format to match. You might also want to try your questions about
best practices on a mailing list for the particular framework you expect
to be using for your services, since header processing techniques will
differ from one framework to another.

  - Dennis

--
Dennis M. Sosnoski