   Re: [xml-dev] XML-appropriate editing data structures

Elliotte Rusty Harold wrote:

> Yes, but I don't think most XML-specific tools go far enough. I'm a man
> of extremes. I either want to edit my XML by hand in a text editor (with
> maybe a little help from syntax coloring and tag completion, though I
> won't miss it if it isn't there; and I certainly wouldn't accept poor
> performance in order to have these features.) or I want an application
> specific editor such as Word or Adobe Illustrator that completely
> shields me from the native XML. I encounter little need for anything in
> between these two positions.

I usually use a colorized text editor, generally Edit+ or Armed Bear, or
sometimes the Topologi editor.  One thing I really want that I don't
often see is bookmarks so that I can move back to specific places.
Edit+ has them, and so does Armed Bear, but in AB they are invisible,
which is a nuisance.

Last year, I wrote my paper for Extreme - which requires you to use
their DTD - using XML Mind, which is approximately WYSIWYG by means of a
CSS style sheet.  I also did my slides for the talk using a different
DTD and style sheet. That was a reasonable experience, but it wouldn't
be adequate for a really large work, I don't think, because it is a bit
hard to move around and find the right places.

I have been using the Word "document map" display often in recent
months.  This view is a tree view, but it is based on heading levels
that you can declare, so that if you have a style called ".level-1", you
can make that a level 1 heading and it displays appropriately in the
document map.  You can also suppress the display of all levels below a
threshold, which is handy.

I'd like to see something comparable in an XML editor that was designed
for editing large text-style documents.  You don't usually want to see
all the elements in a tree view, but you want to see some structure to
make it easier to move around a large work.

And yes, speed of loading and response is important to me.

Cheers,

Tom P