   Re: [xml-dev] xml editors

Robert Koberg wrote:
> Which do you think would be more interested in using a WYSIWYG editor,
> the IE user or the mozilla user?

I dont see your reasoning here, can you please explain?

> The thing is contentEditable came out a long time ago in IE and mozilla
> has yet to support it (yes, I know the workarounds).

But that's what many Mozilla users actually appreciate; the ability to
easily extend the browser for their needs, hence the mozile and xopus
contentEditable "addons". There is no need for Mozilla to support
anything like that if your application easily adds that on runtime.

 > Other things you
> can do in IE but not Mozilla:
>
> - cache xsl transformers in the browser

AFAIK the XSLTProcessor[1] class does exactly that. The importStylesheet
method imports and "compiles" an XSLT file that can be reused with the
transformToXXXX methods.

> - use MSXML's Schema Object Model (SOM) for client side valdiation
> needs, showing what elements are available at the focus, etc

Right.

> That being said, I would love it if mozilla had its own SOM for RNG. The
> SOM is the main thing keeping me with IE.

True, RNG support would be a great alternative.

> One last thing, do you know about the Bitflux editor
> (http://bitflux.org). It is similar and works in mozilla

Lately I've been playing with Kupu (former name: Epoz), see [2].

[1]
http://lxr.mozilla.org/seamonkey/source/content/xsl/public/nsIXSLTProcessor.idl
[2] http://kupu.oscom.org/

--