   Re: [xml-dev] Partyin' like it's 1999

Micah Dubinko wrote:

> Look at any introductory text on namespaces, and the first section
> explaining why they're needed will have an embarrassingly contrived
> example. --Try it!

I'd like to think XML in a Nutshell does a little better than that. The
example isn't too contrived. :-) More importantly though, the chapter
begins by explaining what namespaces are really for:

  Namespaces  have two purposes in XML:

   1. To distinguish between elements and attributes from different
   vocabularies with different meanings and that happen to share the
   same name.

   2. To group all the related elements and attributes from a single
   XML application together so that software can easily recognize them.

   The first purpose is easier to explain and to grasp, but the second
   purpose is more important in practice.