   Re: XOM vs. dom4j

Robert Koberg wrote:

> - XPath - I need to get an element by ID which doesn't seem to be in
> Future Directions. I also need to get things by an element path which
> does appear in Future Directions.

XPath will be in a future release. XPath provides ID search and a lot
more. Unlike DOM's this will actually work. (I've been beating myself up
over the last couple of days trying to work around DOM's brain damaged
handling of ID-type attributes)

> - XSLT - is the only way to do a transform by using
> nu.xom.xslt.XSLTransform?

Yes.

>  -- how do you setParameters?

So far no one's asked for that. It is on my TODO List for 1.1.

>  -- do you need to transform to nodes and then the do a toDocument on
> the XSLTransform object and then use
> nu.xom.Serializer(ServletOutputStream).write(Document) to send the
> result to the browser? Is there a better way?

No. The issue here that may make it seem more complicated than some
other APIs is that XOM does not incorrectly assume (as some other APIs
do) that the output of an XSL transformation is necessarily a single
document.

>  -- can I use XOM in a jaxp transformation so I can set a URIResolver on
> the TransformerFactory and another on the Transformer? In other words,
> is there something (planned) like a XOMSource?

Wolfgang Hoschek has done some work along those lines in Nux. Longer
term what's planned is catalog support, but I doubt I'll expose more of
the TrAX API directly.