   Re: [xml-dev] Web Services/SOA (was RE: [xml-dev] XML 2004 weblog items?

On Wed, Dec 01, 2004 at 11:43:33AM -0500, Rich Salz wrote:
> >Many prominent folks have said that CORBA is SOA.  For example;
> >
> >http://www4.gartner.com/pages/story.php.id.3586.s.8.jsp
> >http://www.microsoft-watch.com/article2/0,0,1220548,00.asp?kc=MWRSS02129TX1K0000535
> >http://www.service-architecture.com/web-services/articles/service-oriented_architecture_soa_definition.html
> >http://www.capeclear.com/clear_thinking_soa.shtml
>
> Wow.  I'm impressed and depressed.  When you posted the set of links I
> thought to myself "he must be reading it wrong."  Nope.
>
> I claim all those folks are confusing client-server with service-oriented.

Could be.

> >Practically all the Web services I've seen deployed on the Internet
> >(via xmethods.net) is RPC too.
>
> So what?

Well, I think it means that many well-intentioned developers, who want
to contribute to the Web services vision, aren't being given a
consistent (or even coherent) message about how exactly they should go
about doing that.  And I don't see anything happening now to remedy
that.

Mark.